The Faulkners Surveyors is an expert Chartered Building Surveying Practice that operates throughout UK. The Faulkners Surveyors carries out all elements of the Party Wall and so on. Act 1996 and offers the following services:

Party Wall (WikiPedia)

A party wall (occasionally parti-wall or parting wall, also known as common wall or as a demising wall) is a dividing partition between two adjoining buildings that is shared by the occupants of each residence or business. Typically, the builder lays the wall along a property line dividing two terraced houses, so that one half of the wall’s thickness lies on each side. This type of wall is usually structural. Party walls can also be formed by two abutting walls built at different times. The term can be also used to describe a division between separate units within a multi-unit apartment complex. Very often the wall in this case is non-structural but designed to meet established criteria for sound and/or fire protection, i.e. a firewall.

Party Wall


We value that lots of people wanting to carry out works on their residential or commercial property have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a fairly late phase in the pre-construction procedure. We also understand it can be a difficult process for those that have not experienced it before. Here in Faulkners Surveyors, among our senior property surveyors, uses his “beginners guide” which aims to supply a summary understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Act?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 supplies a treatment to follow when building work involves a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations near neighbouring structures, and new walls at borders. The Act allows owners to perform particular particular works, including work to the full density of a party wall, whilst at the same time protecting the interests of anyone else who might be affected by that work. The Act is created to prevent or minimise disagreements by ensuring property owners alert their neighbours in advance of specific proposed works.

The Act provides a system for resolving conflicts and allowing works to proceed. It also requires that, where the adjacent owner does not ‘agree’ in writing to the works, a property surveyor or property surveyors will determine the time and method which those works are performed.

What is a party wall?

Party walls normally different buildings belonging to various owners but could consist of garden walls constructed astride a boundary– called party fence walls. Where a wall separates two various size buildings often only the part that is used by both homes is a party wall, the rest belongs to the individual or persons on whose land it stands.

The “etc” within The Party Wall etc Act 1996 is so consisted of because the provisions of the Act are not limited to party walls, they likewise include party structures and party fence walls.

Section 20 of the Act defines each:

” party fence wall” indicates a wall (not becoming part of a building) which bases on lands of different owners and is used or constructed to be used for separating such adjoining lands, however does not consist of a wall constructed on the land of one owner the synthetically formed assistance of which tasks into the land of another owner;

” party structure” indicates a party wall and likewise a flooring partition or other structure separating buildings or parts of buildings approached solely by separate entryways or separate staircases;

What is covered by the Act?

There are certain products of work that you can only be done after notifying the adjoining owners and either receiving written agreement of the neighbour or with a Party Wall Award prepared by a surveyor/s.

Notifiable works include (but are not limited to):.

Notifications are likewise required if it is proposed to build a brand-new wall on the line of junction (limit line). A party wall property surveyor will usually have the ability to verify which work is notifiable and guidance the notice duration and type of notice needed.

What is not covered by the Act?

The Act relates just to certain specific types of work and is liberal in nature. It needs to not be viewed as a method of challenging or preventing works and it is not intended to be applied to small jobs that do not affect the structural integrity or loading of a party wall.

It is usually concurred that works such as fixing plug sockets, screwing in shelving or replastering walls are small works and do not require a notice.


The functions of the Act are always prompted by the of issuing notices. This is the first stage of the procedure and, without the concern of legitimate notices, no additional action can be taken under the provision of the Act.

Written notice must be served on adjoining owners a minimum of 2 months prior to starting any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations). All adjoining owners should be served a notification and there are likely to be circumstances where there is more than one adjacent property and more than one owner of each residential or commercial property (ie: if the adjoining property is divided into flats and owned on a leasehold basis, notifications will be required to both leaseholder and freeholder of all flats impacted by the works). Functions to a party wall, or those impacting a ceiling or floor, will also require a notification to adjacent owners living above or listed below.

Legitimate notices should consist of the following information as a minimum:.

It is vital to consist of the correct details on a notification as, if they are deemed invalid, then any subsequent actions are also void.

Actions To Notices.

On invoice of a notice, an adjacent owner has 3 possible courses of action:.

Most of the times, if the adjacent does not react within 2 week then a considered dispute is said to have happened and the person carrying out the work should appoint a property surveyor to act on the adjoining owners behalf.

If adjoining owners offer composed grant the works as set out within the notices, then there is no dispute to solve and no further requirement for party wall property surveyors or, indeed, the Party Wall Act. Assuming work profits as detailed within no damage and the notice is caused, then no more participation is needed.

Resolving Disputes.

If adjoining owners dissent to the works (or if no reaction is gotten and a deemed dissent has occurred) then a disagreement has happened which should be fixed under the requirements of Area 10 of The Act. It deserves repeating that the Act is one of enablement, it is not there to prevent works from taking place and it offers a route to end conflicts at every phase. Where written contract is not provided, the option the Act supplies is for both celebrations to appoint an ‘agreed surveyor’ who will act impartially or for each owner to appoint a surveyor who in turn select a 3rd surveyor. The property surveyors then work together to agree the terms under which work may proceed. The property surveyor( s) will examine the plans, notifications and structural information of the works and, after thinking about the impact of the works, will prepare an arrangement which sets out the terms under which work can be performed (the Award).

The Party Wall Award.

The award will normally tape-record the condition of the appropriate part of adjoining property before work starts (this is not a requirement under the Act but is considered excellent practice and is duly offered by a lot of great property surveyors). The award may also approve access to both residential or commercial properties so that the works can be safely carried out and the surveyor/s can check work in development.

Usually, the building owner who started the work pays for all expenditures of work and the sensible expenses sustained by all celebrations as a result, this will include the surveyors costs for both Building Owner and Adjoining Owner.

We appreciate that numerous individuals wishing to carry out works on their residential or commercial property have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a relatively late phase in the pre-construction procedure. Here, Michael White C.Build.E MCABE MFPWS, one of our senior surveyors, offers his “newbies guide” which aims to supply an overview understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Celebration?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 provides a treatment to follow when building work includes a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations close to neighbouring buildings, and new walls at boundaries. The Act permits owners to carry out certain particular works, consisting of work to the full density of a party wall, whilst at the same time protecting the interests of anyone else who may be impacted by that work. Written notice should be served on adjacent owners at least two months prior to beginning any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations).

Related Articles

Around the Web