What is the space between two houses called?

March 18, 2021

Understanding the Terminology: What is the Space Between Two Houses Called?


If you’re a homeowner or a property buyer, you might be wondering what the space between two houses is called. This space has different names depending on its location and function. In this article, we will explore the various terms used in construction and property boundaries to describe the space between two houses.

Property Line

The property line is the legal boundary that defines the extent of a property’s ownership. The property line is typically marked by physical markers such as metal stakes, fences, or walls. The space between two houses that falls within the property line is called the side yard or setback.

Side Yard

The side yard is the space between two buildings that is located within the property line. The side yard can be used for various purposes such as a garden, storage, or as a pathway. The width of the side yard is determined by local zoning laws and building codes.


A setback is the minimum distance required by local zoning laws between a building and the property line. The setback is intended to provide adequate space for light, ventilation, and privacy. The setback can be different for the front, back, and sides of a property.


An easement is a legal agreement that allows someone else to use the space between two properties for a specific purpose. An easement can be granted to a neighbor, a utility company, or a government agency. The most common types of easements are utility easements and access easements.

Party Wall

A party wall is a wall that separates two properties and is shared by the owners of the properties. The space between two party walls is called a party fence wall. Party walls can be found in semi-detached or terraced houses and are typically governed by the Party Wall etc. Act 1996.

Advantages of Understanding Property Boundaries
  • Helps avoid disputes with neighbours
  • Provides clarity on property ownership
  • Helps in planning and construction
  • Affects property value

Understanding the terminology used in construction and property boundaries is essential for homeowners and property buyers. The space between two houses can have different names depending on its location and function. Whether it’s the side yard, setback, easement, or party wall, it’s important to understand the differences between them. If you need assistance with property boundaries or construction, Faulkner Surveyors is here to help. Our team of experienced surveyors can provide expert advice and guidance on all aspects of property ownership and construction. Contact us today to learn more.

Related Articles

Avoid Retaining Wall Disputes Issues

Avoid Retaining Wall Disputes Issues Party Wall Disputes and retaining wall disputes are a common problem in property development, both residential and commercial. In some cases, the dispute can be

Read More »

Table of Contents