Faulkners Surveyors nuneaton

Boundary walls are essential in defining property boundaries and providing privacy and security. However, when it comes to changing or altering them, property owners may find themselves in a maze of legal and regulatory requirements.



If you’re considering changing a boundary wall, it’s crucial to understand what permissions and agreements are required to avoid costly legal disputes down the line.

What is a Party Wall Agreement?

If the boundary wall is shared with a neighboring property, you’ll need a party wall agreement before any changes can be made. This is a legal document that outlines the proposed changes and the rights and responsibilities of each party. A party wall agreement can be a complicated process, and it’s essential to seek the advice of a professional surveyor to ensure you’re meeting legal requirements.

Do You Need a Party Wall Agreement?

  1. Adverse Possession: What Is It and Can It Affect Your Plans?
Adverse possession occurs when someone who doesn’t own the land claims legal ownership through continuous use. If you’re planning to change a boundary wall, adverse possession can become an issue if your neighbor claims the land as their own. In this case, you may need to resolve the dispute through the courts.
  1. Conveyancing: What Role Does It Play?
When buying or selling a property, it’s essential to check the title deeds and ensure that the boundary walls are correctly defined. A professional surveyor can advise you on any potential issues and help resolve any disputes before they become legal problems.
Changing a boundary wall may seem like a straightforward process, but there are various legal and regulatory requirements that you must adhere to. Seeking professional advice from a surveyor can help you navigate these requirements and avoid costly legal disputes. At Faulkners, our experienced team of surveyors can guide you through the process and ensure your project is a success. Visit our website today to learn more.