Faulkners Surveyors rugby

If you’re planning on making some renovations to your property, it’s important to consider whether you’ll need a party wall agreement. This is a legal agreement between property owners who share a wall, and it’s required by law in certain situations. In this article, we’ll discuss everything you need to know about party wall agreements, including when you need one, what it covers, and how to go about getting one.



You’ll need a party wall agreement if you’re planning to carry out any of the following types of work:
  • Building a new wall on or adjacent to the boundary line between two properties
  • Cutting into or altering an existing wall on the boundary line
  • Carrying out excavation work within 3 or 6 meters of an adjacent property, depending on the depth of the excavation
  • Carrying out work to an existing party wall, such as adding a beam or removing chimney breasts

What is a Party Wall Agreement?

A party wall agreement sets out the rights and responsibilities of both property owners. It covers things like the exact work that’s being carried out, how it will be carried out, and what measures will be taken to protect both properties during the work. It will also cover any costs that arise as a result of the work, such as damage to the wall or the need for additional works to be carried out.

Do You Need a Party Wall Agreement?

If you’re planning on carrying out work that requires a party wall agreement, you’ll need to serve a notice on your neighbours. This should include details of the work that you’re planning to carry out, when it will start, and how long it will take. Your neighbours then have 14 days to respond, and they can either agree to the work or raise objections.
If your neighbours raise objections, you’ll need to appoint a party wall surveyor. This is a qualified professional who will act as an impartial mediator between you and your neighbours. They will draw up a party wall agreement that sets out the rights and responsibilities of both parties, and they’ll ensure that the work is carried out in accordance with the agreement.


If you’re planning on carrying out any building work that involves a shared wall or boundary, it’s important to consider whether you’ll need a party wall agreement. Failure to obtain one could lead to legal disputes and additional costs down the line. By following the process outlined above, you can ensure that you’re meeting your legal obligations and protecting the rights of both yourself and your neighbours.
At Faulkners, our team of experienced surveyors can help you with all aspects of party wall agreements. Contact us today to find out more.